Some Metrics On My Blog - Where Next?


PREFACE
If you are a reader of this blog, this is important at least that you read the last line (which is a question to you). The rest is just context and musing.

CONTEXT
I took a good look at my blogposts, and here are the most popular ones, which I divided in three tiers of interest:

  • Tier A:
    • How to Create a Campaign
    • Dark Souls OSR
    • How to Generate Treasures/Dungeons
    • Making Traps
    • Cantrips
    • Creating Hexcrawls
    • Downtime Activities
  • Tier B:
    • Psionic Class stuff
    • Playing with Chainmail
    • Restocking Dungeon
    • Comments about West Marches
    • Tools, resources, etc. 
  • Tier C:
    • 5th ed. 
    • My original content
    • Some of my play reports
    • My personal content (like my music album)
The reason I'm sharing that is to think about what to do next. If we take the apriori that more views means a) it's useful therefore it's read (causation or correlation, I don't know, and I can't know) and that b) it's useful to more people (because of the reach), then I need to take a look at the ones that are more useful to determine the aim of this blog. We can divide it within general categories:
  • Everything that help D&D Referees to create and run their campaign (Hexcrawls, Dungeons, Downtime Activities, Tools, Ressources, etc.): This is high in the list and I like to see this. Why? Because personally I got a lot of help by reading online, watching other Referees do their things, etc. Therefore if (let's say) 5% of my readers can get something out of what I read, then this means I can help 50 or 100 people! That's awesome. 
  • Playable Content (Classes, pre-made hexes, original content, etc.): This is not the most popular or the most groundbreaking, but it's steadily read more than, let's say, play reports. 
  • Game Discussion (Chainmail, West Marches, 5th Ed., Dark Souls OSR): I'm  half-disqualifying Dark Souls since it's a one time, and it's of course a very popular franchise. But none the less, people like to discuss about games they like I guess. 
In general, things that have been a real let-down in terms of views are:
  • My old hexes post (maybe it was the format or quality?)
  • Play reports (although the one for my Arthurian Campaign are better in that regards)
  • Some specific niche thread (for example, Youtube resources)
This begs the question: would it be useful to condense all my Referee's tips in a single well-made PDF and make it free on the web? How to stock dungeons, create hexcrawls, etc. with the method I use? That way, people can use it at their table and don't have to go through bunch of blogposts. 

QUESTION TO READERS
I don't know if I will change anything to this blog in terms of content generation. But if you are reading it actively, and get something out of it, I would like to have your input since you are the user. Why do you come back? What do you want more? It is "my" blog, but I'm writing it so it can profit other people: therefore I would really appreciate your input. 

Comments

Popular Posts