West Marches Original Dungeons and Dragons - Hexcrawl Rules (Overland Rules) - ADDENDUM - Weather and Global Events


ADDENDUM - Weather and Global Events

This is an add-on, after I saw that I had forgotten to speak about weather and such in my original hexcrawl rules. I will deal with some hex generating and global events consideration which I didn't tackle.

Weather

My weather system works with "states". There is two states: not-raining, raining. For each of those states, I have a 2d6 roll every 8 hours or so. If I forget it, I don't mind it: sometimes weather just stays the same for multiples days in a row anyway. In snowy areas, I roll on the rainy one and I consider rain as snow. In very humid places (jungle and swamps), I will consider Rainy the default state. In dry place, I might add +1 to all roll.

Not-rainy

  • 2: Rain (switch to rainy state)
  • 3 - 5: Cloudy (-2 to next roll, cumulative)
  • 6 - 9: No change from the current weather
  • 10 - 11: Sunny with some clouds(+2 to next roll)
  • 12: Very sunny, no clouds (heat wave in desert-like conditions)
Rainy
  • 2: Showerstorm
  • 3 - 5: Heavy rain (-2 to next roll)
  • 6 - 9: Rain
  • 10 - 11: Cloudy and/or rain receeding (+5 to next roll)
  • 12: Sunny (switch to not-rainy state)
Every day, I also roll 1d4 on two tables to see if something different will happen. One is wind, the other is "other".

Wind
  • 1: Heavy wind
  • 2: Solid brisk
  • 3: Windy
  • 4: Breeze or stale
Other
  • 1: Foggy
  • 2: Temperature goes higher
  • 3: Temperature goes lower
  • 4: Anomaly*
* Anomalies can be anything that affect the weather, such as a tornado or hurricane. Generally it will be less intense: I roll 1d6 for the intensity (1 being nothing, 6 being huge hurricane). They normally, if intense enough, subtract 1 ration as per my ration rule. It can also be a magical anomaly. In any cases, I do NOT roll every time on this. Sometimes I'll just roll once per day, or once per adventure. 


Global Events Between Adventures

This is quite new (one game) and nothing happened yet. So it's not very much playtested. At the beginning of every adventure, I roll on this table to relate what happened between now and the last adventure outside of my usual explanation of the consequence of the adventurer's action. I roll 1d100:

  • 1 - 7: Major Weather event
  • 8 - 9: Famine (or almost) at the Haven
  • 10 - 11: Earthquake
  • 12 - 13: Flood
  • 14: Failing Star (roll random hex where it drops)
  • 15: Inflation of price for X/Y/Z reason
  • 16: Monster attack of importance on the Haven (roll type, roll hex from where they come from, determine the reason and create a camp)
  • 17: Landslide or magical event which causes an hex to change drastically, generally creating a new dungeon (or the appearance of a whole module, such as B4 the Lost City)
  • 18+: Normal life, just speak of the last festival. 

Comments

Popular Posts